View Single Post
Old 08-18-19, 12:11 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
In Post 2 above I showed some Thermos brand bottles that I modified to fit the cages. And in post 17 above I mentioned a bad experience with Home Despot on some oversize bottles.

But my more recent experience with Home Despot is a bit better, I bought some of these in what they called Silver color:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Manna-Vo...8119/302621031
In Silver color it is a bit under $9 before sales tax. It really does not look like silver, more like a pewter color. (They even mention pewter in the internet link.) Other colors cost a bit more.

And I later learned that Bath Bed and Beyond has them in a variety of styles and colors for a similar price.
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto....?ta=typeahead

My local Home Despot store did not stock them, but I ordered some for ship to store, thus no shipping charge.

They are a bit smaller diameter than a cage. I cut some "sleeves" out of an old inner tube, I think the inner tube width was for about a 2.0 or maybe 2.5 width tire. The sleeves were a half inch long. I stretched them over the bottle to make the bottle a bit thicker to fit in the cage, I used two sleeves at each location, one on top of each other for a total of six sleeves for each bottle. And I wrapped some electrical tape over the inner tube rubber to help hold the inner tube rubber in place so it does not slip. Two layers of inner tube rubber and a bit of electrical tape resulted in a diameter that was just about right for a cage. The result is in the photo.

They have a smaller lid than some of the others and smaller than on my Thermos brand bottles. Thus, some ice cubes are too large to drop in. And with a threaded top, you have to use two hands to get a drink. But otherwise, they work well. With my Thermos brand bottles with a flip top lid, I usually stopped to take a drink break anyway, so a threaded lid is not a problem for me.

I had to shift the position of the middle inner tube rubber band on the bottles upwards a bit after my initial ride, I had some metal on metal vibration noise on rough roads, but that only meant pulling off the tape, shifting the rubber up a bit and applying new tape, not a big deal. I took the photo before I shifted the middle rubber sleeves upwards a bit.

You need a flexible cage for them to fit because the top of the cage is intended to angle in to where most bottles have a groove and these bottles do not have such a groove. Thus, they might not fit well in some cages, for example Lezyne makes a very stiff robust cage that the bottles do not play well with. The cages in the photo are some old Blackburn Comp cages.

I checked the manufacturers website (Manna) and they do not list the Vogue model as currently available. Thus, I assume these are being sold as clearance. Unknown how long they will stay in stock.