Old 03-24-20, 07:21 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
That's pretty neat. I plugged in my home address and it spat out a 30 mile route that I think I have actually done

I looked at a few other suggestions and it routes me on to roads that I don't personally feel comfortable riding on, but I have seen other cyclists on before.

So, as always with algorithms, YMMV.
Yeah, on mine, it was routing me down some unfavorable streets. Not necessarily dangerous, but certainly neither ideal nor picturesque. I also have a feeling that some of the distance qualifiers might encourage shortcuts, but I'll need to play with it more.

Oh, also, you can select a starting point of your own - it doesn't have to be from your current location. This might be nice in my case, where navigating the metro, on the way to more open roads, is the tricky bit.

Originally Posted by abshipp
Kind of obnoxious that it's mobile-only, though. I don't use my phone for turn-by-turn navigation, most of the time if I'm riding a new route I will put a cue sheet together, either by hand or if it's a longer ride I will use the cuesheet feature on ridewithGPS.
Agreed. That was the first thing I checked. If I'm going to plan out (or even just scrutinize) a route, I want to be able to do it on a larger screen.