View Single Post
Old 06-02-20, 01:16 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
i had thought about cutting down a technomic should i get one, but i'd considered there may not be enough length of threading on the bolt to allow me to do that thereby also needing a shorter bolt. and, trivially, i thought it perhaps silly to pay the extra $ (because one is paying also for the extra metal of such a tall stem) only to cut it off

i know....$13 is cheap for a part, but i've bought cheap kalloy parts enough (uno, zoom, etc) and none have ever failed on me catastrophically. so, i wasn't really too concerned in that regard. it's not a mtb, so no...it doesn't need to be hefty. though it may a valid point. now that i think about it, for over time fatigue failure <<hmmm>>

weight penalty? pssht...lol. i need to lose 30lbs!!

yes...i've seen the soma stems. those are sharp!! like the nitto, of course. but, i've been keeping an eye for any nice taller used stems for a while and they're just harder to come by at the shorter extensions. plus, on the rare occasion they come up, with shipping, they're always as much as anything new. you know...you pay for that vintage stuff!!

thanks, guys. i'll keep watching. i may break down for a new technomic, afterall. unless i relinquish my attachment to the clamp style. origin8 make a nice enough looking 180mm quill at a more budget price. they just have the aero style clamp like my original SR custom