View Single Post
Old 09-13-19, 06:35 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 402 Posts
I also have a school 2 blocks from home, on the route to my local rail trail. Massive # of cars for drop-off, but buses too -- what's missing is kids walking, that's a thing of the past (safety is probably the reasoning). Been caught in a squeeze between cars trying to drive past and drivers who just did drop-off or pick-up and pulling out form the curb, not looking for cyclists... but I have not become 2-dimensional (yet). I try to plan my rides so I am not passing at the times that school is beginning or ending.

I am convinced that the bar is low for selecting school bus drivers, I regularly see them running stop signs or at least overshooting the stop line if they do stop (coming to rest in the crosswalk), also failure to yield right of way and pulling out in front of drivers and cyclists. Perhaps they are told that driving a school bus, with or without kids on board, gives them carte blanche to drive as they please. At least based on my observations.