View Single Post
Old 03-15-21, 01:50 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7359 Post(s)
Liked 2,497 Times in 1,449 Posts
I hate flat batteries

Today I volunteered to ride my bike to the car repair garage to pick up my spouse's car rather than driving her. It's just 2.5 miles and I might not get another chance to ride today, so why not? Well, it was only 21ºF and very windy, but I know how to bundle up, so I did.

About a mile in, I got a flat on the front. Oh boy, changing a flat in this weather could be unpleasant. Well, it wasn't that bad. A guy passed by in his truck and stopped. "You look like a professional, but do you need anything?"

"I've done this a thousand times, so I'm fine, but thank you!"

Fixed the flat and continued. A quarter mile later, the front tube gave out. I've got no more spares. I am not going to patch a tube in this weather.

I started walking. I got my phone out because I figure this time my spouse won't mind picking me up in the other car. My battery read 59% full. Then instantly, the phone shut down. I've been meaning to replace this phone, as it is a battery eater. So I can't call, and if she's worried about me, she can't call me, either.

I left the bike on the roadside and walked to the garage. It's a rural area, so it was safe. I was well bundled, and I did not get cold. It sounds like a bad day, but it was an adventure, and I was able to chuckle about the whole thing. I even got in some walking which I don't do enough of during Pandemic.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider: