View Single Post
Old 03-15-22, 04:25 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked 1,515 Times in 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Don't blame the wheel design on the method you chose to hang bikes. I wouldn't ever personally choose the wheels of a bike to hang a bike, even if they were solid carbon. And especially if they were some $2500 Enve or other solid carbon wheels. I'd only do this if it was some high spoke count cheapy alloys.
Chill, Winston. I was merely stating the facts. Hanging a bike by its wheel(s) with hook(s) is a tried and true method that predates carbon wheels. Given that my bike is only 18 lbs., I have absolutely no issue with hanging it by its front wheel, regardless of whether the rim is alloy or carbon fiber. I am not aware of anyone who has pointed out an issue other than a HED wheel with a carbon fiber fairing over an alloy rim.

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Same goes for tray bike racks on cars. I swap to the originally included cheapy alloys to transport. I wouldn't want to scratch up and crank down on the straps on the body of fancy wheels no matter the design. I transport those inside the car. I mean, some wheelsets are worth 50% or more of the bike itself. Why would I clamp down on that?
That is a different matter. My car moves, sometimes quite fast; my garage wall, not so much. It seems much risker to transport one's bike frame on top of one's car (even with "cheapy alloys") than to hang a bike from its front wheel on the garage wall.
Likes For SoSmellyAir: