View Single Post
Old 09-08-19, 08:12 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
As I’m looking to spec my next project I have to wonder if there is a way to future proof or at least not have a standard or group obsolete in a year. Right now I have Campy 10 speed on 2 bikes. As far as I know my wheels will work if I upgrade to 11 or 12 speed. But I’m seriously thinking about switching to Shimano. I used to think Campy was rebuildable and much nicer looking. Now they’re as ugly as everyone else.
Nothing that is well established is obsolete in a year.
Campy 10sp is still made, that alone should show you your stuff wont be obsolete.

Last winter I bought some 9sp Microshift STIs for $42 new. Components that arent a fad dont become obsolete, they become less expensive.

Here is how you future proof yourself- dont go with a proprietary seatpost or stem. Dont go with a frame that has pivot points. Use a threaded bottom bracket.
There- its future proofed.

All seriousness, whatever bike you get now should last for the next 10-15 years without anything more than maintenance. All the consumables will still be available as there will be a market for them.
Likes For mstateglfr: