Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
What was your worst or scariest “off”?

Had a couple of memorable wrecks:

1. Mtn biking down a serpentine trail was blasting down a gully with a steep rise on the other side which one had to make or else ge stuck with a very steep climb out. So bombing down (15mph) The is a huge up rooted tree stump right against the single track. Chanting the mantra, Look where you want to go, the edge of my handlebar hit one of its roots and smacked me down on my back so hard it knocked the breath out of me. I knew I had to be injured so started by wiggling my fingers, which worked, then my toes which also moved so I knew I wasn’t paralyzed. Walked 2 miles out in shock. My right shoulder was a wreck which took a year to heal.

2. Riding my road bike in echelon formation with 4 other guys at 23 MPH in the rain, we crossed railroad tracks. I was 2nd in the formation, when I saw the lead riders back tire slip out on the track taking him down and his back tire hitting my front wheel taking me down with the guy behind me hitting me. Since the pavement was so wet and at that speed I slipped on my side down the road about 50 feet. Road rash on my right side from shoulder arm, hip, leg and ankle. Fortunately was able to continue the ride with all my clothes in tatters and bleeding.