Old 02-02-21, 08:22 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Poll: Refinishing options

Warning (and a request): This thread concerns a first world problem. If that makes you grumpy, post pictures of cats rather than complaints.

Now then.... It's bonus time, I've got a bit of spending money available, but the garage is full(ish), so I thought maybe I'd upgrade an existing bike. Trouble is, which one?

Here are the candidates. They all look good in pictures from a distance, but they've got problems.

1) 1989 Bianchi Giro

The paint isn't original. It's kind of a cool color, but I would really prefer a "true" celeste (noting that such a thing does not exist in the singular sense).

The problems are like this:

2) 1990 (ish) Serotta Colorado LT

I have reason to believe this ridiculous paint scheme is original. It's either very cool or hideous, depending on your point of view. I lean toward very cool most days. To borrow a Yehuda Moon joke, the only climb I'm likely to win is Col d'Stone Creamery, so it's kind of embarrassing for me to ride this in public, but I'm OK with that. The problems are like this:

3) 1969 Raleigh Competition

I'm overly fond of this one, not least because 1969 is the year I was born. It's also my oldest bike. The paint is mostly original, but with some rattle can Rustoleum where I had bottle cage bosses and mid-fork rack mounts brazed on. I don't have pictures of the blemishes, but besides the spray paint (which actually looks very good) the chrome is flaking on the chain stays. The original decals have almost entirely faded to black.

So, the applicable rules are:

1. It's only original once.
2. Bianchis should be celeste.
3. Rule 16
4. N+1 is always the answer
5. S-1 is really always the answer