Old 02-08-21, 03:29 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
I have a knife that was owned by my wife's father, and I imagine that the blade was around 6 inches long. I say imagine, because it is about 1.5 inches now, but it still keeps a razor sharp edge. I guess he began using it when he worked on the family farm until he moved to the city in about 1946, and could well have been his father's because he died in 1939 and all the other sons went off to join the army and then the underground, here in Poland. I use it to sharpen my pencil and cut my way into packaging.

I also have a wooden toolbox that I keep some of my bike tools in. It was made for my grandfather by one of his brothers, in 1915 for his 15th birthday. I cannot remember which brother, as my grandfather had 26 siblings, but I do know that he left shortly after to serve in the First World War. The box was painted a plain black with my grandfather's 4 initials in white on the top - I have several of his tools and they are all similarly marked, including a small pair of external callipers I still use to compare stem sizes etc. Anyway, he trained to become an electrician, got married, became the chief electrical engineer at an insane asylum, got divorced and married the chief nurse, who was in charge of the nursing aspects of applying electroconvulsive therapy. Eventually he and his toolbox retired, and then in 1984 I inherited it.