Old 02-17-21, 08:11 AM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
I used ACA maps when I did a bit (800 miles) of the OR and CA coast. Their upside is they have bicycle-specific info such as the locations of camping and bike shops. The down side is they have no information for anything that's not on the the exact road you're pedaling on. For that reason, they can never be your only map.

As something of an aside, I was pretty surprised to find how few of those 800 miles of coast had room for bicycles on them. Most of that route (From Tillamook, OR to Bodega Bay, CA) had no shoulder to speak of, and tight turns with high speed limits. A real nerve-wracking route that many other cyclists I met were bothered by, Some even considered abandoning the route altogether.

So don't make the mistake I did of assuming since it's an ACA route that there will be shoulders or other comfortable/safe road conditions.

Also, I learned from that experience that when you ride an ACA route, you run into a lot of other cycle tourists. Which for me was a downside. I prefer to be alone when I tour.

You could buy the maps and consider it a donation to the ACA regardless of how much value you get from the maps themselves. Personally, I won't bother in the future.

Last edited by Brett A; 02-17-21 at 08:44 AM.