Old 09-19-19, 06:27 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Bingod
Thanks, that will be my next course of action. I can see how there could be an issue there, and perhaps this RD is just more sensitive to things being not quite right. Im still perplexed as to why i get the cross chain in 39 ring with either 24, 28 or 32 cogs. When these combos worked fine with the old RD. could the longer cage in itself create this problem.
The chain tensioning is much higher with the Shadow derailleurs because of the stronger springs (designed to keep chains in place). I've found that this makes "misalignment" of the chain (cross-chainging) a noisier affair. When the chain is more or less inline between front and rear sprockets, it runs fine. But when you start getting outside that "straight and narrow", it's less tolerant of that. And it makes intuitive sense -- the derailleur cage is pulling harder on the chain with Shadow derailleurs compared with traditional designs.

I've tried to make my RD-M3000 derailleur work correctly on a number of bikes, and I just couldn't find satisfaction with it. I've posted a few questions about these derailleurs here in the past. Here is a thread. Here is a second one. Neither is directly the same issue as yours, @Bingod, but I believe the behaviors may be related.

Last edited by hokiefyd; 09-19-19 at 06:31 AM.