View Single Post
Old 06-17-19, 03:44 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Whatever he/she wants. If the race is vs other 11 year olds it should be some 20-30 min. If not - tell us.
A bit of a difference if a he or she. Even at 11 the boys sweat more.

During race, depends on the weather, but be aware of electrolytes if hot. Be aware of too much water (I typed too much). It is much more likely to over-hydrate, and more dangerous. Water in the bottle and some Gu is ideal. Water for the head and back if hot. Gu has the stuff needed.

Chocolate Milk if there is not milk reaction is about the perfect kid race food.

Short races kids can race on sugar. Longer, less sugar.

Edit Add:
If this is training for racing at age 14, 16, 19 etc, this is a good time to learn how to fuel. As others posted, not much matters at age 11, but teaching them the habits now, may matter for later.
So in that light...(IT DOES NOT MATTER FOR 11 YEAR OLD).
Eat less carbs the night before. I'd cut the fruits. Eat veggies and have the kid used to emptying the...well they should feel un-bloated.

4 hours before protein and fat. These do not fill and provide deeper energy levels.
1 hour before carbs and fat, wee protein. Toasted bagel, cream cheese.
Race time - sugar. But they must keep it up. Live by sugar, die by sugar. Esp kids. I sometimes favor taking sugar mid race. It is easy for a jacked up kid to go too hard too early and forget to eat.

I'd keep them off of any stimulants (caffeine) until much older. Sugar is magic. But if they run out, they explode off the back.
Umm, around here 11 year olds typically race at 0 Dark Thirty. I wouldn't recommend waking a kid up in the middle of the night to eat some steak.