View Single Post
Old 06-24-19, 11:44 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 16 Posts
YES! ALWAYS!!! ....but once upon a time it was not the case....
Like most people of my generation that began riding road bikes in the 1960's, none of us did...... and I shudder to think that I once rode for about five miles with no hands on the wheel, riding as fast as my Varsity would go with my feet pedaling as fast the young athletic me could in the Summer of 1970.........I never ever crashed or hit the pavement in the sixties or seventies but two of my friends had serious crashes back then. One friend, Catherine crashed in 1967 and the handle bars ruptured her spleen and she had to have emergency surgery to remove her spleen. Another friend crashed coming down a steep hill because a lady in a Cadillac had pulled out of the driveway and he T-Boned the Cadillac and went across the car and into the grass sidewalk fortunately............he lost his two front teeth as they came out completely but this was 1972 so they had no method for re-inserting them at that time. The Raleigh Grand Prix was toast. He looked like a Hockey Player after that, though he did have a removeable bridge..... We just chalked it up as those things just happen.................. seat belts were the same thing. I remember that I did not wear seat belts regularly until 1984, even though I was wearing seat belts when Auto Crossing in 1979 and a motorcycle helmet while autocrossing.
Just stupid ignorance.....................sadly I can recall nearly all the friends that died in car crashes between 1966 and 1984 and none of them used seatbelts.....all but two of them likely would have survived the crashes.....................several died because they went through the windshield.......one was ejected and then the car rolled upside down and crushed him........one girl that went to College with me, survived going through the windshield.....remember the Beatles song that Ringo sang called Don't Pass Me By.........it was bad as she lost her left eye and her face and skull had more than sixty stitches and there were surgeries that she had to have to reconstruct part of her lower facial skull...............if the accident had not been close the Hospital, within 2 miles, she likely would have died.
Yes that was just how it was back, nearly fifty years ago. I only began wearing seatbelts everyday after a friend died in a low speed single car crash during a heavy downpour..............the car's driver side hit a tree at about 20 miles per hour............damage wasn't bad but William's neck was broken as his head slapped sideways into the driver's door pillar and window............. He left several kids aged 2 to 8 and his wife of ten years, he was just 33 years old...........
My neighbor is a trauma surgeon and he says that often just something simple like a bike helmet or goggles while working with power tools can save folks from a serious injury or loss of an eye.
I did not even own a bike helmet until 1986 when a friend gave me one. I only wore it on road bikes while traveling public roads at speeds averaging greater than 13mph, I did not wear it while riding in the local neighborhoods.
I didn't care for the helmet because I thought it looked goofy and wasn't comfortable.
Todays helmets are much more comfortable and better.
I did not wear a bike helmet religiously until about a few years ago. I wouldn't wear it unless I was gonna ride at speed on the road.
People kept saying you need to wear it because they had seen some disasters of folks that were without helmets.
One friend kept telling me to just keep buying helmets until I found a comfortable one that I liked. I took her advice.
I never go anywhere on a bicycle without wearing a helmet. It may help save your family from having to plan your funeral.
You can survive broken ribs, and or a fractured clavicle, or knee injuries, or broken arms, or broken hip or broken elbow BUT IF YOU CRACK UP YOUR SKULL LIKE A WATERMELON THAT SOMEONE HAS STRUCK WITH A BASEBALL BAT............... it is going to be hard for the trauma team to put Humpty Dumpty back together again....
.................................................It is your choice.
As you know if you do take a tumble at speed, your arms and body parts will be moving and you might roll/tumble dissipating some force of impact but the inertia is likely to have your head at least have a slight glancing blow or slight bounce or slight kiss of the concrete/asphalt as you are rolling and tumbling...............obviously depending on how much impact and where your skull slightly bangs the pavement could be lethal or just a minor concussion...............................EVEN THE WORST HELMET IN THE WORLD LIKELY WOULD DO BETTER THAN JUST YOUR HAIR AND SKULL ALONE.........
.......Everybody thinks it won't happen to them because it has never happened before in 50 years of riding.....................
Go to your refrigerator and grab an egg and imagine carrying a dozen eggs home from the store without breaking by simply carrying them in a grocery bag without their crate.....or see how that egg would survive in your pocket............it will get banged around and splat....there it is gone..................that is perhaps too graphic but you have to paint a picture to illustrate a possible outcome that can be entirely avoidable in most all cases.
Think about it, you're going at least 10 mph and even if you're only going 5 mph and you get impacted by a car or a tree limb that falls in front of you, or a squirrel that is crossing and you run over it and crash.........
Your friends and family will say Thank You for wearing your Helmet because you don't have any idea of how much that you currently enrich their lives..... They will really miss you when you are gone. Please stay well and stick around for a long time. Helmets do indeed prevent possible tragedies.
The only real downside is that they look goofy and give you helmet hair.............
Remember the image of a cracked watermelon......... looking goofy and having messed up hair doesn't seem bad after all!