View Single Post
Old 07-12-19, 06:06 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think you've got a lesson you can teach yourself--your love for badminton has caused you to be able to do more, and biking is great if you enjoy it. My theory is that anything is sustainable if you enjoy it and have time, but if you're making yourself miserable, you will burn out.

It sounds to me like you have good instincts and are on the right track. That said, finding what works best for you always involves some trial and error, so don't worry too much about "wasting" your training/riding. You need to try things to see if they work for you, and sometimes the answer will be "no", that's not a waste, you learned something
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I have watched a lot of people head down the path of weight loss. I have been able to predict those that would succeed and those that would not based on that singular factor.

Too much pain, too much austerity or simply doing something you don't enjoy will just about guarantee failure.
I have recently described myself
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
as a decades-long, lifestyle cyclist (touring, year-round commuting, and modest road cyclist)….
mainly for fitness.

Over the past few years I have developed a personalized training regimen based on Relative Perceived Exertion and Cadence (link), as a cheap and simple version of Power Meter with the basic intent
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
My basic premise was that I wanted to get significantly fit, within a busy work/family time-crunched life, but not suffer so much that I would abandon the program.

I do have the advantages of a very nice minimum 14 mile one way commute that is easily extended; and a high end, very comfortable carbon fiber road bike that encourages riding.