Old 07-30-19, 08:52 PM
chef09

Bikes: Kona Caldera , KHS CX 300, Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took it to another shop today. The bike mechanic said: "the chain seems too short and the Wolf Road-Link is for massive rear cassettes(and showed me one massive MTB bike one). He took off the wolf-link with great difficulty and noticed something that the previous Bike mechanic had done (and had told me but I didn't understand what he meant)- he had machined/ground off some of the hanger width because the addition of the wolflink had skewed the alignment I guess. The guy at the new shop said-you should not grind that part-it's weaker now.
So the new bike shop mechanic is going to add a few links to the chain, put on a MTB derailler (Sram GX Type 2.1 10 speed Long cage/ max cog 36T) $85.00. He then has to replace the hanger for $42.00 and it's about $33.00 for the labour. Total $175 with taxes.
In a way I feel like I should go back to the first bike shop, give them the Wolf link (which is marked up a bit) and the machined hanger and ask for some money back, especially since originally they were to put on a rear derailler but brought in the wrong one and tried something else-which didn't work.
BTW, I did (brain fog) go to the BIG ring- then second biggest cog in back and jammed the chain up. It pulled the derailler into the cassette. Bloody awful. I could have broken a tooth and broken the RD. So by Friday (if everything works) I will have spent $475 for 4 extra teeth. The good news is that I think the new bike shop and their mechanic may be able to help with sourcing a 46/30T crankset. That may be next year's
budget though. My wife still wants/needs a new fridge. ( I get the old one on the deck for BBQ supplies/beer)

I'd put in pics but I haven't had 10 posts yet.

Last edited by chef09; 07-31-19 at 08:52 AM.