View Single Post
Old 03-06-18, 10:20 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 872 Posts
So, it wasn't 75 and sunny, but high 30s and cloudy seemed to be better than what's coming, so I pointed the LHT East and rode through Arlington, Medford, Malden, Revere, Saugus, and Lynn, ~25 miles (didn't have my tracker turned on) on the Bike To The Sea path (a.k.a., Northern Strand Community Trail). This got me, if not to the sea, then at least to Rumney Marsh and the tidal estuary of the Saugus River.

The ride began with a stop in Medford at the stupa on the grounds of the Kurukulla Center. That seemed to have survived the recent storm without damage.

Soon enough, I was in Malden, on the Northern Strand Community Trail.

Then into Revere, with a surface of coarse gravel and a view of Rumney Marsh. The water was quite high, perhaps the tides, but some of this could be leftovers from the recent storm. The Wheelabrator trash-incinerator-and-power-station can be seen on the horizon.

Into Saugus. The trail surface in Saugus is crushed asphalt, as granular as stone dust. It's packed down nicely over the few years I've been riding it. Much of the trail in Saugus runs through wooded areas, and damage to the trees was in evidence from the latest storm, along with prior ones.

The Saugus River estuary is the reward for persisting on this trail. You can tell you're not in Middlesex County any more.

The water was high here, too.

Continued into Lynn, crossing Lincoln Ave. and taking the unofficial continuation of the eventual, hoped-for Bike to the Sea trail, single track running alongside railroad tracks on an abandoned causeway, a path between two waters that I never tire of riding.

More high water...

There's more to the trail in Lynn, but that was all I had time for today, so once I got to dry land, I turned around and scooted home. Once again, I was pleased by how nicely the 42mm Compass Snoqualmie Pass Extralight tires, pumped to 40/45 PSI, dealt with the pavement (rough and smooth), gravel (coarse and fine), and dirt on this ride.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 03-10-18 at 08:35 AM.