Old 07-20-18, 01:42 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
🚴 Why MUPs Fail

Below are some excerpts and comments (from another related A&S thread), as to why MUP don't work well for cyclists:

Originally Posted by toast3d
Put a bell on your bike.
I ordered my bell before I ordered my bike.
Originally Posted by Doohickie
It's called the velodrome. Just make sure you watch out for the other cyclists.
In that case, home cycling would be better. At least that way you have illusion of going somewhere other than in a circle.
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Sitting on your couch isn't safe.
I already proved that much in my earlier thread.

Originally Posted by igosolo
"On your left" means very different things to different people.
And nothing to some people.
Try it with a big group of pedestrians on the MUP. Some go diving to the right, some left, some freeze like a deer in headlights and others are oblivious you said anything at all, Might as well shout "grenade" as you get the same effect.
If you think they will all move to one side/the right, you'll be sadly disappointed. They "scatter" -- in every direction -- guaranteeing you can't avoid running into someone no matter what action you take.[quote]

I avoid the MUP and rarely ride it on the weekends. On the rare ride where I do, it means slow down and enjoy the scenery more that day. And when I pass, if I have a wide berth, I don't say a word as it is safer for everyone in my opinion. If I have to say something, I am totally ready to come to a dead stop.
You might think so, but the legality works differently. If its multi-use you have to warn pedestrians as you approach. Otherwise, you stand the chance of suffering any liability should an accident occur. See above

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
So are the "river" trails in Southern California (SART, SGRT, LART) unique to SoCal? There are long stretches marked BIKES ONLY in big white letters.
Pfff, like that means anything. There's no penalty, so people ignore those completely. As you can see from the video. pedestrian simple consider bike only lane as extra sidewalk.
I can go 10 miles and not see anyone on foot.
I wish that were the case where I ride. Somehow I even have to avoid peds on high-speed stretches of road that transition back to the paths.
Sure, the closer you get to the beach, more people. But nothing like I'm seeing in posted images-- only The Strand has that kind of density, and it's basically a paved boardwalk following the coastline, with countless signs yelling at everyone about the speed limit-- which is like 5mph. Inland (at least) what we have of MUPs are very short in length, and sparsely populated. Especially in the summer. Not a lot of joggers and dog walkers when it's 103º.

I love the SART. I'm out there at the very least once a week. Not a lot of people out here, I must say
:

Sweet. ^^ But pedestrians, dog walkers, etc. will find the paths even when they have alternate routes. Only a physical barrier (note the fence) will keep them at bay. And even then, sometimes you'll find holes in it.
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Why do you think there's a place where you can just ride with reckless abandon? You basically can't do that anywhere in a car, either. You shouldn't do that anywhere while walking. Yes, you have to be alert and ride at a speed appropriate for conditions wherever you ride.

However, it's perfectly safe to ride on the right roads, for the most part. Sidewalks suck. The MUP is another sidewalk, only it doesn't go along a street. You can ride there, but it's not a suitable training ground.

The only places you can really just go crazy are velodromes, veloways, and racetracks (when you can get on one).
Who said anything about reckless? I'm talking about not having to be the only one responsible for safety. Even a pedestrian crossing the street has the responsibility to look both ways before crossing. However, if there is an accident its not immediately the fault of the motorist. I'm not talking around a school area, I'm referring to other adults who need to share the responsibility of good sense choices for safety and awareness for themselves and their small ones. If you know cyclist share the path then its not the time or place to zone out staring at the sky. I've had instance where I've come across groups that block the entire path (even when there's room on either side) so that I had to stop, dismount, walk my bike around them then get back on and ride away. There are a million places to stand and sightsee, but only one path.
Originally Posted by kbarch
Yeah, MUPs can be pretty disorderly, kind of the Wild West. Maybe eventually more people will learn how to behave on them, but they have to become either more dense or more well-patrolled in order for that to happen any time soon.

On my short little Citibike commutes between the Port Authority and office, I'll take it easy and just stick to the protected bike lanes. Whenever other cyclists go zipping past, I want to tell them to ride in the traffic lane. I scrupulously avoid those bike lanes when I want to go fast - its quite easy and comfortable to keep up with traffic on the avenues, even on Citibike - and it feels a heck of a lot safer than trying to make similar speed in the bike lane.
The only way that will happen is if there is a physical barrier that peds can't circumvent. Even when there are two sides conspicuously marked people will still walk (casually) on the "Bike Only" side. BTW, I'm glad you said disorderly and not dangerous. MUP are not inherently dangerous except where pedestrians don't adhere to the rules.