Old 06-02-20, 10:38 AM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
Warning: This thread is pointless and is just me rambling about a thought that's been rolling around in my head for a while ...

Anywho... your thoughts? Are bikes that are more than a few years old worthy of the scrap heap? Is buying a brand new bike a psychological gain or a good idea? Should we all buy a new bike every two years to keep up-to-date along with our iPhones and Android phones?
I reserve scrap heap for recycling (metal), landfill for consumables (rubber), and Goodwill / Craig’s List for repurposing, I appreciate technology and history. So my bikes represent an era both in my life and in technology. BTW, Obsolescence can equate to unsustainable (like, no parts) and may see the fate of the other 3 categories. Buying new technology when it is a game changer really makes sense to me. My last bike purchase added the capabilities of a carbon frame, compact gearing, and endurance performance (wide tires/ lower PSI/ stack & reach). Sure it is a road bike, but not like any In my stable. Unfortunately, I like most, have limited space/ resources. I have a Trek 7000 I really should repurpose.
Like the opportunity to reflect on your post.
Likes For jlmonte: