Thread: Why'd I bonk?
View Single Post
Old 09-23-19, 02:08 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
I had my first and only serious bonk on a ride in Spain this past August. For me, it was a combination of factors, and I don't think there is particular culprit to the OP's bonk or mine. Sometimes there is a brew of challenges that produces a tough result.

In my case, I bonked on the last climb of a ride that was about 80 miles long and had maybe 7000' of climbing. the last climb was about 1200' or so and about 6-8% for most of the way.

It was not my fitness - I have ridden centuries nearly every Saturday all summer, and I've done harder rides before, including one earlier this year that was a similar distance but with ~9000' of climbing. It may have been my nutrition or hydration. I ate too little in the morning and didn't keep up during the ride. I probably also didn't drink enough. And it may have been the heat -though it was cool when I started out, by the time all this happened it was mid-afternoon and maybe 95 °F.

One interesting thing is that i knew the bonk was coming, but failed at prevention. I began to bonk in the dozen or so miles before the last climb,, and I stopped and ate a bunch of trail mix and bought a coke at a local cafe. I also drank plenty of additional water. But I was already so deep-in that the additional hydration and nutrition were too late. I wonder if anybody else has experienced this?

I got about 300' of climbing in that last climb and I simply could not continue. I have never previously stopped on this kind of climb. (A couple of times doing climbs of >3000', I have deliberately stopped midway through to take a break.) I was so exhausted, I could barely get my leg over the bike. After a time, I began to walk up the hill, but even that was too much. I had to stop every few hundred feet because the walking was too much effort. It was TOTAL exhaustion. Getting over that last hill (90% walking) was misery.

I had planned to ride the next day, but I needed to give my body a rest. The following day I did a much flatter (3000' total, I think) 90 mile ride (I was in Girona after all, I wasn't going to sit in town and not ride!) and I was OK, though I did it very slowly and was more tired at the end than I usually would have been. It took nearly a week before I regained my full strength.

It was an interesting experience. I don't recommend it.