Thread: RIP Buddy
View Single Post
Old 01-17-20, 11:41 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
The service for Earl was yesterday. Overflow attendance doesn’t begin to describe it. The chapel where the service was held was completely full. An adjacent even larger room was standing room only. A third room was the same thing. The foyer was full as well. Everyone could see and hear the service via large screen TVs. Just incredible.

His bike, jersey, helmet plus numerous pictures were on display. Open casket which was really tough for me.....

I also attended his graveside service afterwards, just so I’d know where to check in with him from time to time.

Henceforth to me RIP means “Ride In Peace”.

Here is a post from from Earl’s sister that I thought I’d share with you. It’s pretty powerful.

From Earl’s sister:

I just wanted to say that as Earl’s sister I was so overwhelmed by the HUGE out pouring of love and support at his funeral service. The number of people that came to show their love and respect for Earl, and support for Earl’s family was UNBELIEVABLE!!!

They were so many of our friends, and extended family members, and of course Earl’s huge second family of “cyclists” (which I could easily pick out after the first few by their physiques)
Today made the extreme sadness of the funeral that I had been dreading for several days turn into something that gave me personally so much comfort and peace. The whole experience made one of the most awful tragedies in my family’s history into something bearable.

I have no doubt that Earl was watching, and so proud of his two sons for stepping up like mountains and watching over their mother, Earl’s Sandy, the love of Earl’s life. And I know that Earl was so proud of his beautiful daughter-in-laws right by their side, supporting them and being the glue that held everything together, all while caring for Earl’s beautiful grandchildren. And I know Earl was so pleased that ALL his siblings and their families could be there together. And I have no doubt that Earl was watching us all, and so humbled by the outpouring of love and support from his huge cycling family, just as Earl’s family was humbled by their love too.

But for me personally, I lost a brother and I am sure my heart has not even begun to realize the depth of that yet. But I have gained an entirely new prespective on why Earl loved riding his bike so much. Because of Earl’s cycling family, I feel like I know Earl even better than I did before this happened. And I am so grateful to all of them for that gift.

Thank you so much to each and every person that could be there today, and every person that wanted to be there but couldn’t. And thank you so much to every single person who sent their positive thought and constant prayers. Without you all this would have been so so much harder. And like I learned today, we just have to keep peddling thru the pain, even when it is so hard that we just want to quit. Because the privilege of the ride with Earl was so worth every minute of it❤️❤️❤️