Old 08-13-19, 03:19 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
The only thing I can think of is that the steel retaining C ring on the moving shoe of your caliper is worn/lost tension out so the shoe can drop out of the piston. It can't be pushed out by the operation of the brakes. It can be pushed out if you use maximum adjustment on the outboard adjuster. I just tried mine and I needed to lever it out with a screw driver, there was no way it could pop out under it's own steam.. The retaining ring is a little C ring on the shoe shaft. Because the shoe on the BB7 needs to pivot to compensate for the off centre pressure the BB7 creates it has a lot of slop and it's retained by the C ring. Technically the pad separating spring should also hold the pad and shoe in place. With the pads in place and adjusted to fit a disc there isn't enough room for the shoe come out. Potentially with a missing inboard pad and the outboard pads adjusted to the max it could come loose.
Anyway, it's a good chance to service your caliper while you have a look. It'd be worth trying to spread the C ring to add a little tension. They come with bugger all grease from the factory anyway, so a touch of high temperature brake grease wouldn't hurt to extend it's life.. The SRAM site has a service manual.
thanks, will look into that at some point. I would need to look at a diagram of them to really understand properly what you describe, I admit I dont properly visualize the C ring right now.
I will check out the service manual to get a better understanding.
Lots of house projects and work and family stuff going on right now, so I'm realistic that I wont look into this for a while--but thanks again.