View Single Post
Old 03-07-19, 12:12 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I have only flown with a bike in the S&S backpack case. To me the convenience of being able to put my S&S case in the trunk of a taxi instead of trying to figure out how to get around with a full size bike box is just as important as the cost savings to avoid oversize package. I have even used the backpack straps to carry my S&S backpack as a backpack.

I would only carry a bike in a full size bike box if there was some reason that I could not use my S&S bike or my folding bike.

I also built up a DIY center support for that case, photo of my folding bike in that case with that support at this link. Built it with a couple wood dowels, small pieces of plywood and some wood screws:
https://www.bikeforums.net/20711320-post39.html

I worked in a bike shop years ago, I built up most of my bikes from the frame, thus I am very comfortable with disassembly and re-assembly. To me it is just lost time to do so. But some people are not mechanically inclined and I can see where they might not be very interested in that much mechanical work to pack or unpack it.