View Single Post
Old 08-27-19, 05:17 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian25
Busses in the U.S. ... not so good. Much more viable in Mexico. I do not know where you want to travel to from Florida, but one thing that you could consider is craigslist/ rideshare???
I did a Southern Tier ride from San Diego to Pensacola some years ago and decided I'd like to ride the remaining portion across Florida. I live in Tallahassee now and would need to get to the start in Pensacola and then home from St Augustine. I could leave my car at one end and use some kind of public transit to close the loop. That might even make flying on Jet Blue almost make sense.

The craigslist/rideshare thing might work for getting to the start, but I never like to plan an end date for a tour preferring to leave duration very flexible. I'd think that would make ride share tough to coordinate. I know it has made air travel tough to manage other than when I had the chance to fly stand by.

Originally Posted by derail3
Last time I used Greyhound with a box bike was between Denver and Frisco CO. It was not a good experience but got me there.

A ticket gives you one free check bag. I had the bike and a second bag. The second bag was going to cost me more then the online ticket fare. So I booked two tickets in my name. You can only imagine the confusion that caused. The manager had to tell the counter person that I have two tickets so I get two seats and two free checked bags.

check baggage is not really check baggage. They put a tag on it and have you carry it to the bus so the driver can load it.

Upon reaching Frisco the driver all most drove off with out unloading the bike and bag. Had to tell him twice that I had check below.

Add to that a two hour delay because they didn’t have a rested drive available.

Bike arrived un damaged but a experience. Would have to think hard before I did it again
I think I'd just as soon pay for a second bag as add potential confusion of two tickets. I am an ultralight packer (camping and cooking, not credit card but still 10-15# base) and have managed to have my bike and gear all in one bag that was under 50# (I did also have a "personal item" with a few things in it)).

Originally Posted by Baboo
I have used Greyhound 3 times and have come to the conclusion , if the only way to get to the place I want to go is Greyhound, then I will find some where else to go.
I have sometimes thought the same thing, but every 20 years or so give them another chance

When all is said and done I may just ship the bike to Pensacola, drive to St Augustine in my car and park it there, fly from JAX/St Augustine to Pensacola, ride to St Augustine and drive home. That or just use rental cars to get to the start and home from the end.

I have never done a tour that I didn't travel 1000+ miles to get to before so this is a new experience for me. It doesn't seem like the closest to home (by far) I have ever done should have he most complicated logistics (again by far), but it certainly seems to be shaping up that way.

Last edited by staehpj1; 08-27-19 at 05:25 AM.