View Single Post
Old 07-15-19, 08:06 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
I am not sure where Carbonfiberboy got his info regarding this climb. Just go to RideWithGPS ( https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15981808 ) and you will find short segments of 14+% all over the place.

I also don't understand his money vs time issue WRT equipment changes. Time spent training is not a cost (to me). And the results bring value far beyond just this one ride. OTOH, a 32 tooth cassette brings no value (to me) beyond this one ride. The only reason why I have an 11-27 on my two sets of wheels is so I can ride 50/25 (F/R) without being cross-chained. And I don't know how doable a 32t is on my bike (yet). If just a 29 were enough, I would be willing to do that.

And if it is true that "You need to be doing 1000' climbs, period.", then this discussion is over. These are not available to me (without a drive that I am not going to be making just for a handful of training rides). That is why I started this thread. That kind of training would answer my questions naturally.

Whether or not I am actually going to do this one - as I said, I am not sure. I have more doubts than I had a few days ago.

dave

ps. Renting a bike for a couple weeks has crossed my mind here.