Thread: Finally! (?)
View Single Post
Old 08-01-19, 01:46 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Jake and I rode over the 100 mile mark for the Trek Century challenge on Strava. I hesitate to call it a real century, as it's not all in one day (or doesn't *have* to be), but where I am now, it was a big enough deal.
...especially as I'd been traveling most of the month and ended up cramming on the last week.
I had a flat last night, while knocking out the final miles, and am extremely pleased at how well the 35c Pasela TGs work with the Chukker rims. No tools needed, off and back on in a jiff. I have some narrower rubber waiting to be installed, but I'm not entirely sure I want to make that change for now. I may pick up a little bit of speed, but the ability to fix a flat this easily is awesome. I am extra careful to check the bead when I re-inflate, just to make sure it hooks up well all the way around.

As my Mavic wheels are still intact and usable, I may put the 28s on those and give 'em a try. I still need to replace the rim on the front wheel (wear groove is down, but the braking surface is still flat, not concave), but it'll be enough to give 'em a shot without playing musical-tires as much. I probably need to move that re-rim job... (that could be taken badly) up on my list, so I can get my 'good' wheels back to work.
A rim and some spokes won't be too expensive, and I've been wanting to try my hand at wheelbuilding. Under supervision for the first one, of course.