Old 09-09-19, 03:25 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Without a baseline test it's difficult to use a heart monitor effectively. But to be accurate the baseline test should be done under your usual conditions: same meds, especially for BP; usual amount of rest (or lack thereof), diet, etc. Preferably in the same weather conditions -- heat and humidity.

I did the baseline test suggested with the Wahoo Tickr, but I knew it would be applicable only to the test conditions:
  • I did the test indoors, so if my maximum HR was 175, I figured 160-165 would be more realistic in Texas summer heat.
  • I did the test without BP meds. I take BP meds only occasionally for severe headaches, often accompanied by unusual spikes in BP. Metoprolol and lisinopril will reduce my resting pulse from around 65 to 55, and max *effective* HR from 165 to around 145-150.

After Thursday afternoon's group ride, which usually finishes with 45 miles including my round trip commute to and from since I ride the whole way, I still felt pretty good after getting home. So I ate and went out again. Finished the day with 75 miles, the final 30 after dark when the temp dropped to 80 or lower. Felt great when I finished. Even felt like I could have done another 25 miles and called it a century, without having planned it. I didn't feel like I was pushing hard and my HR averaged 138, with a few peaks to 160 on climbs. That's typical for me.

Friday night/Saturday I had a horrific headache and my BP spiked to 150/90, which is high for me. It's usually 110-120/60-70. I took a metoprolol and lisinopril and rested Saturday.

Sunday morning I felt pretty good, just a little sluggish from the BP meds since I don't take them daily. But I was running a bit late and decided to skip the group rides. The usual moderate pace B-group didn't meet that day and I didn't feel quite up to the B+/A- group's 17-18 mph average. So I rode the same 40 mile route backward, averaging 15 mph. It felt comfortable at the time and I got home by 11 am, just as the temperature reached 90. My HR averaged 128 bpm and peaked at 150, despite feeling like the same effort as my usual that averages 140 and peaks around 160-165.

In effect I overdid it Sunday, neglecting to pay attention when my app notified me of my average HR every 5 minutes. My mindset was still "Oh, I'm well under my usual BP, let's try for a new personal best on this segment." That was stupid. So naturally within an hour after getting home I suddenly felt achy and exhausted. Napped for 6 hours, then was fatigued from hunger because I neglected to eat properly after getting home.

So I tested my baseline under best possible conditions that apply only to fairly cool, dry weather without much wind. And without BP meds. And it shows in my rides. When the outdoor conditions are like my baseline HR test conditions, sure, I'm faster and feel fine afterward.

But when I neglect those conditions -- despite knowing better -- I pay for it.

The silliest thing about it is, as usual, my body is the best gauge of how my body feels. I knew I felt draggy Sunday but instead of listening to my body I kept pushing a little harder, beyond my comfort zone. If I'd just ridden 1/2 mph slower, that would have made the difference between feeling good afterward and feeling exhausted rather than energized.