Old 09-09-19, 01:28 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
BF is not newbie friendly ... Without ten posts, the person seeking information is, well, not getting much for a while. Ten posts, and I understand the need for scam prevention, is not newbie friendly.
Ten posts, though, isn't a high bar.

If a contributing member has a handful of interests, with cycling, then posting ten or more times into various interesting discussions should not present an insurmountable hurdle. Goes by quickly, actually, assuming a person is willing to post a few times a day to get the feel of the place.

Indeed, it's basically a "scam" prevention tool. Limit links, images and whatnot, for a time, to weed out those sorts. At the small price of requiring a few contributions to the forum's flavor. Not a bad trade, really.

As for whether new questions can be asked by new members, with replies in such a manner that are helpful and "good" contributions to the forum ... well, that'll largely depend on the questions and goodwill of the participants.

I, too, was once a new member. As I recall, there was no ability to post a "for sale" link, post links off-site, post images, etc. Just good basic participation in discussions until I was ready to begin asking about certain things in new threads. Wasn't all that long a wait.