View Single Post
Old 02-06-20, 07:44 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by Gino71
Thanks so much for the link and the reply! Looks like I'll have to possibly rethink some things and research evenmore.
Always a whole lot to think about when you're getting into it!

When I got back into riding- I had an "old" bike that I just hadn't ridden much at all for 20 years. I thought it was cool, and found that people also thought it was cool. The more I started reading and looking at pictures and really figuring out WHY I thought my bike was cool- I started piecing together what kind of bikes I liked. (short story long: I had an old "All Terrain Bike" {which I considered a "mountain bike"} so I thought "I like old mountain bikes," but I didn't realize ATBs shared a lot of characteristics and components with touring bikes- and it just so happened I went through a bunch of mountain bikes and was not really happy until I figured out that "touring bikes" were what I liked)

My advice- keep looking at pix- find out makes and model names, find out what those are and mean (why is a Stumpjumper considered "above" a Rockhopper), learn some about things like English/French/Swiss standards. ASK QUESTIONS! The coolest thing about this group is the willingness to help people.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy: