Old 08-30-20, 10:25 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 825 Times in 415 Posts
As a former police officer, I will tell you not to waste your time sending videos like yours to the police. A video is worth something if it records a crime or an accident, but the police will not write a ticket for a driving infraction they don't witness personally. There is a difference between a crime and a driving infraction, you yourself can arrest someone who commits a crime (even if that person is a police officer), but you cannot do anything about someone disobeying traffic laws. Police have the authority to enforce traffic laws and cite someone for a traffic infraction, you do not, because an infraction is not a crime. Even if the police did act, the owner of the car could claim someone else was driving, unless your video is clear enough to show the driver. He or she could claim that they thought they were more than 3 feet away when they passed, or that the video from your camera is too distorted to accurately judge the distances, etc. The police are not going to spend hours running license plate numbers, visiting the driver's home, taking statements, filling out forms, appearing in court, etc for an incident where no one was hurt, and no property was damaged. The amount of time necessary do do so would be greater than any fine they could levy against the driver.

If I had a dollar for every time a car passed within 3 feet of me, I could buy a new bike. If you don't want drivers passing too closely to you when you are on a ride, you had best ride on bike paths, or get off your bike and quit now and take up another sport.