Old 09-09-20, 03:11 PM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by igz
Are cane creeks low end? I find I kind of like the finish on them (the tougher rubber on tops and bottom), but really not a fan of the branding on the sides. It may modernize an 80s bike, and I definitely want to stay true to its history/era. Are Rustines the way to go? Would you recommend them over other makes, including NOS shimano ones? I would be looking to buy them in the next few days, but can only order them (which sucks in terms of seeing in person).

*not my pics*

This is the big dilemma: my girlfriend REALLY isn’t comfortable with being down on the drops. It’s this catch 22 of loving her (first ever) bike, the look, the feel, the 80s frame, the handlebar... while also feeling unsafe without the suicide levers. She doesn’t even ride on the hoods yet (still getting there). I’ve read that even taking suicides off and installing additional small regular type breaks (while keeping the handlebar and original brakes) = the same problem in terms of two locations pulling on one brake wire. I don’t know how to possibly work around her having that safety, while also avoiding the crappy-ness of a suicide lever setup.

I’m also hoping that if I find hoods for her setup, it will end the nonstop clacking of that suicide lever every time she hits a bump. I can’t tighten them to the brake itself (as it’s a flat surface when I remove the plastic cap covering)... so it 1) drives us nuts, and 2) makes me wonder how I would even remove them in order to mount a rubber hood. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks guys
Personally, I would not own a bike without safety levers. I love them, and have no problem with them. Several of my bikes have hooded levers. The hoods that come with an opening for the safety levers make life easier, but it's not difficult to cut a small hole in any hood.

There should be a spring inside that safety lever, behind the screw that holds it in place. You can also space things with washers. Mine never rattle, and hers shouldn't. Pics of her setup would help.
Likes For kross57: