Old 09-09-18, 04:00 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by dh024
Well, the "toughness" that one user experienced was much less than expected, one says it was fairly normal, and many have reported no problems at all. Mine have been wearing better than expected. Pretty hard to generalize from evidence like that.

I suspect the first run of these tires might have had some quality control issues, but the more recent ones have improved the issue. Surely if there were widespread problems, one could google people's opinions and find many more complaints.
I agree that the ones that are good are really good...Surly are on to a winner with this style of tire. They should probably use a better factory than Innova to make them though, if they want to charge $55 each.
But I do think part of the problem with this fault is that nobody really knows what distance the ET should go, I went hunting and found some complaints about very short life spans, but then you've got the various posters on here, "you got 2500km out of a touring tire, that suddenly started wearing out visibly each day, what are you complaining about" So if it happened to them, they would be fine with it and not complain... I probably would have sucked it up too, had I not been able to see exactly why it wore out so quickly.