View Single Post
Old 10-22-19, 01:11 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Originally Posted by antdd
When looking what Mavic says about rim/tyre combinations (http://engineerstalk.mavic.com/wp-co...tableau1-1.jpg), the 17.5mm of the Archetype should still work, even though it's on the max. recommended end when I would actually use 50mm tyres.
I am nothing close the as informed as an engineer at Mavic and readily accept that they know more than me. With that said, I find their wheel systems and proprietary engineering to be quite absurd for my use and the use of most cyclists. Just so many changes off of something that neednt be that complicated or proprietary. They clearly know their stuff- THE RIGHT TYRE WIDTH ON THE RIGHT RIM WIDTH - Engineerstalk : Engineerstalk. I assume that is where your pic comes from.
Anyways, in real use I have ridden 40mm and 43mm tires on Archetype rims without noticing a thing about the combo. Neither tire felt squishy or unstable, even though the shape violates Mavic's ideals. Perhaps I dont ride hard enough/turn hard enough? No idea.

I should say I have little experience with rims- Besides OEM generic rims, I have used probably 5 different brand/model/shapes and quickly targeted what I like and want. Ive built 3 sets of wheels and the Archetype rims were the most round(both laterall and vertically) out of the box which made for easier building. Some Mavic Open Pro(or one of the Open models) were like wet noodles, but they were admittedly entry level so no reason to compare.

Good luck with the build- pics are required!