View Single Post
Old 03-04-21, 06:36 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
I don't think anyone is expecting that a bike route alone be built, but rather that the non-motor-vehicle route sometimes would be best separated into mandatory pedestrian and cycling routes.

Of course non-compliance is an issue - occasionally by cyclists (though not as much as on routes that have no cycling alternative), much more by pedestrians.

Some examples from NYC:

Ocean Parkway path has a fence down the middle, massive non-compliance by baby carriage pushing grandmothers

Williamsburg Bridge - bikes on one side pedestrians on the other with all the car lanes in between, again reported pedestrian non-compliance

Brooklyn and Queensboro bridges - in the process of having a drastically separate vehicle lane turned into a bike lane to replace a previous shared one (which in the Brooklyn case had a paint divider). We can guess from the Williamsburg bridge example how that will go...

My favorite example though is in Battery Park where they just made the bike-only lane too darn pretty. It's this sinuous pair of directionally split single-file paths through a flower garden, and people just can't resist taking an evening stroll there, and not on the no-bikes-allowed sidewalk 30 feet away. They should have left it harsh and utilitarian to be the key connector that it is, and maybe planted the garden with its paths a bit to the east for the evening stroller crowd.
My main beef now is the amount of straight up motorcycles on the bridge bike paths. Bike lanes are now "not car" lanes. Also good for parking your car. More Magic Paint is needed here.