View Single Post
Old 12-03-10, 05:45 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by bfromcolo
Guess I need to spend some more time working on the post then. I was able to get it to turn about 45 degrees in both directions, but not make any headway vertically it before I gave up.

The 600 group on it has 93-94 date codes, failed to mention that. All the parts are newer than the frame and fork. The original owner said he had it built by Colorado Cyclist in the mid 90s and the frame was unused stock at that time.

It's a really nice ride, if it's not sellable with a frozen seat post I guess I will just suffer and keep it.
Two items.

That is a beautiful Tommasini. I love these bikes, and this one, if a little smaller, would be purchased by me promptly.

Frozen seatposts are an absolute pain, but have you talked to a really good local shop? Especially a shop with a mechanic that's been around for a bit.

I have a guy here that pulled a rusted Campy post that I had given up on. Took half an hour, a bench vise, and a six pack.

.....and it certainly didn't rotate 45 degrees either direction.

Yours will come out eventually, but perhaps not in one big piece.

Also, there was a thread a couple years ago in which Old Fat Guy gave me some great tips about a frozen post in one of my Tommasinis.

In other words, you are hardly dead in the water. Do some additional research.

As for the ding in the head tube, I would have a builder look at it before I'd give it a clean bill of health.

While I like the Shimano 600 bits a great deal, it's almost like a throw in on that bike, as many folks will prefer to go their own route with a fresh gruppo.

Last edited by gomango; 12-03-10 at 05:57 AM.