View Single Post
Old 08-13-19, 07:39 AM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Would be great if they completely ignored the people, and went deep into the weeds about the trail route, gradients, major climbs, as well as the bikes. Frames, tires, wheels, component groups. But this being PBS, they probably just let the people whine endlessly about their personal problems, as well as trendy left-wing political issues.
As one that rides the GAP end to end a few times a season I'll add my opinion. Tires, any will do, you'll see roadies running the trail when you get close to towns, of course wider is better but not necessary. Same goes for bikes and componetry, take your favorite most comfortable and go. The only thing I really feel I need or want for my bikes on the trail is fenders. My wife who rides maybe 300 miles/year can and occasionally does the GAP in 3 or 4 days on an old step trough comfort bike, granted I carry most of the gear. Major climbs: none, though Connellesville to Meyersdale feels like an endless uphill slog but it's more psychological than physical. From Big Savage Tunnel down to Cumberland is a nice downhill ride though pavement would make it a great downhill ride and one could probably coast the entire way if it were paved. Going south to north 21 miles from Cumberland to Big Savage tunnel is more of a climb but again the wife can do it in two hours without the need to stop so I'd say nothing major, the downhill from Meyersdale to Connellesville doesn't feel like a downhill but technically is. Trail is hard crushed limestone and other than putting a lot of grit in the drivetrain is nice to ride on. Trail towns, plenty of places to enjoy mom and pop fare along the way. My favorites are The Trailside in West Newton, Falls Market in Ohiopyle, Rivers Edge in Confluence, The Opera House in Rockwood and Donge's Drive In in Meyersdale. Martins grocery store in Connellesville is a good place to get dry goods and fruit.

Big Savage tunnel..,,