indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by roundrocktom
https://www.ridethehiawatha.com/

I did this ride two weeks ago.
See my post # 6 above. Started the day outside of Avery, ID. Rode the former right-of-way up to the Pearson Trailhead then did the "official" trail to East Portal so I was going up hill all the way to St. Paul Pass inside the tunnel. I was fully loaded and riding 37c tires. The beginning of the trail at the western end is a bit rockier than I thought it was going to be, but it got better. They had just refinished the St. Paul Pass Tunnel with slurry, and there was a lot of water dripping from the roof. I got some slurry in the bike, but people with knobby tires had it worse. More than one person had a lot of it on the backs of their jackets and all over the bike.

Finished the day by dropping down on the dirt road towards I-90, riding up to Lookout Pass on the NorPac Trail, took I-90 down for 7 miles and then hopped on the Trail of the Coeur d'Alene in Mullan, ID and took that for 7 miles to Wallace, ID. So in the end I started the day in ID, crossed into MT via the long tunnel and then went back into ID via Lookout Pass.