View Single Post
Old 12-13-18, 11:14 AM
antokelly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BobG

Yes, I have a BionX (out of business, no longer made) retrofit on my touring bike. It has a regeneration feature but the level of re-charge is pretty insignificant. The braking assistence is handy though. Like downshifting on your car.

+1 to all of the above. Having to plug in every night is the biggest challenge for ebike touring in the USA. Hopefully for anto it's easier in Ireland and the rest of Europe.

I had to go electric two years ago due to health issues. My 556 watt hour battery boasts a range 30-70 miles. Two years and 7.5k miles later that is more like 20-50 miles in hilly terrain with the ageing and use of the battery. That is on an unloaded bike around town. Loaded for travel I may get only 20-30 miles in hilly terrain. Carrying a second battery that would mean a range of just 40-60 miles before having to plug in for 5-6 hours. That's assuming I'm also carrying a second charger for the spare battery. Add to that a CPAP machine... long distance bike touring has become too dependent upon electricity for me to continue to participate.

I'm not even going to find a motel every 60 miles on an extended trip in the US and their regular use is not in my budget. A campground with power would be even more difficult to find. All I can do is short, local well planned trips. Sorry to be so negative anto. I love my e-assist but have yet to find a way to make it work for extended overnights.
cheers BOB nice bike emm not sure about rear wheel tho sorry, but sure if it works as u want it then happy days.
i won't be doing anymore than a week or even overnighters 40 to 50 miles would be plenty enough for this oul bird lol.
mind you i'm thinking ahead if i can sell my bikes ill buy a good ebike start cycling again in the new year if i don't doubt very
much ill cycle again,