View Single Post
Old 03-15-19, 09:35 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
If you know someone planning a trip to the US (or you feel like taking a vacation) I highly recommend the Bike Friday pakiT. It is custom sized and configured. I am 69 years old, female, and also have issues with lifting. I configured mine so I could easily carry it up and down steps to our transit stations - my bike is just at 19lbs right now, including saddle and pedals but not including electric parts. That's with 8 speeds. You can go up or down on weight by adjusting your component selection/component costs and you can also get internal hub gearing if you prefer. But the cost of ordering and shipping to the UK (what's up with Brexit?) may be prohibitive, thus I suggest finding a traveler to pack it in a suitcase (easily done) and bring it as a "used" bike. Their electric bike option is certified for airplane travel, the batteries split into acceptable sizes. It adds about 10 pounds for the electric setup. For myself, I prefer using a friction drive (not much rain here) as it only adds around 5 lbs to the overall weight of the bike. I believe you have Add-e in Austria and Velospeed as wel over there. Hub motors are heavier.

Last edited by linberl; 03-15-19 at 09:39 AM.