Quoted: 4259 Post(s)
Liked 1,361 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by seajaye
The commuting test that failed:
  • Basemap ON
  • Turn Guidance ON
  • Course Points ON
  • .tcx file created in RWGPS
When it would calculate, it would cycle from 0% - 99% and then end up with a "Route Calculation Error". That was pretty frustrating.
The Basemap doesn't have any (or enough) detail to do routing. It's certain to fail to be able to calculate a route.

The basemap only contains major roads (like highways), The map needs to include all of the roads the track is following for the routing calculation to work at all.

After chatting with a Garmin rep, they suggested I use Garmin Connect to create my course.
If this helped, it's a random "magic" effect. The route planners just create a list of track points.

This set up worked to navigate me around the 200k pretty flawlessly:
  • Basemap ON, Openfietsmap ON
  • Turn Guidance ON
  • Course Points ON
  • .tcx created with Garmin Connect
Ah, it was this.

Route calculation on the 520 (not the +) is kind of weird because it doesn't come with maps that can be used for routing.

So, it appears that the 520 has the route calculation software (there were some hints that it did a while ago).

.tcx created with Garmin Connect
You can look at the contents of these files to see if there's actually any magic being added by Garmin Connect.

(If you can, I'd love to see the files produced by these. PM me, maybe.)

It seems important to load the course after having acquired GPS signal, which is something I never thought about with the 500. .A!
This is true for all the units that do route calculation. It's odd. The 500 isn't doing route calculation.

I suspect that one reason for this requirement is so that the unit can offer the option of calculating a route to the start of the course.

The navigation doesn't work without GPS (so this requirement seems moot).

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-18-19 at 09:35 AM.