kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
What kind of maintenance have your disc set-ups needed? A tiny fraction of my disc maintenance is, well, so tiny that it might as well be zero, which just isn't feasible in the real world.
We have had very different experiences. I have BB7's on the bike I have used for randonneuring for that last 7 seasons so it has a lot of miles on it in all kinds of weather. The front brake always seems to be getting out of alignment and rubs, so I have to loosen all the bolts and re-align it to stop it from rubbing. I frequently have to fiddle around with the clicker adjustments to balance rubbing and freeplay at the lever which I can never seem to get just right, always either too much freeplay or too much rub. The pads get contaminated or whatever and start squealing, which drives me nuts so I have spent a bunch of time and effort trying to figure out how to get that to stop stop to no avail. Eventually, I give up and replace the pads so they'll stop squealing for a while, which works for a few hundred miles or so depending on the conditions. I've been riding different bikes on brevets this year primarily because I'm so sick of those BB7's.