View Single Post
Old 05-22-19, 12:01 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
I checked out the product labels in the pantry last night. A lot of the "amino acids" and minerals/vitamins listed in the Hammer stuff is also found in the hemp protein powder, almost all infact. So now I'm at $10 for Malto + $15 for Protein powder + $$? for electrolytes, Hmm. Sounds like I need to experiment in a few months when I get low.

I'm a superstitious guy though, and the fancy products worked really, really well.

Hammer included some nice literature, which stated you can over drink just water during exercise, recommending no more then 28oz/hr. That's what I was doing wrong and the electrolytes were a game changer. They also said if you have a high sodium diet you'll need more electrolytes during activity, so I'm trying to cut down on daily salt intake now.

I stay firm in that Gatorade is just plain sugar, and refined sugar is the devil.

The reason you cant drink an infinite amount of water is hyponatremia. You're essentially diluting the salt content of your body with pure water. A few liters isnt going to make a difference. Multiple gallons, and you might start feeling pretty funny. I've had it...you get kinda weak, and feel almost dehydrated, which of course makes it even worse.