Old 06-18-19, 07:18 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
I also put sealant (homebrew) into my commuter tubes, and I guess it got rid of flats. I didn't have that many to begin with, decent suburban roads/bike lanes, wide schwalbe marathon tires with low pressures, etc.

But recently a 3-day slow leak developed into a half-day slow leak, and I needed a tire change, so I pulled everything off, and found I needed THREE patches! I guess two of the holes were sealed (well enough) by the sealant, but when I took the tubes out and inflated them without the tire to support, stuff got jostled and the holes became open?

BTW I put the sealant into tubes with 'non-removable' prestas. That locking nut doesn't want to remove, but get some pliers on it and that sumbich WILL unscrew all the way off. You have to be careful then and catch the core as it falls into the tube. Secure it in its place inside the tube with a binder clip or clothespin while you put sealant in, then push that core back up and screw the locking nut back on.
Yeah, that's what I used to do back in the day to put slime in presta tubes. Seems like most presta tubes available these days have removable valve cores, so it's a pretty simple task to put whatever in them. I do feel like tubeless sealant works better than slime though.