Old 01-14-24, 02:22 PM
Sapper69
Brisvegas roadie

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 6.9 (SRAM Red-22), 2010 Colnago CLX 2.0 (SRAM Red 10-speed mix), 2013 Pinarello FP Uno (Campagnolo Athena 11-speed), 2009 Fuji Roubaix Pro (Shimano 105 10-speed), 2009 Colnago EPS (dream build, under construction!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Switching to shorter cranks for road cycling as you get older?

Hi all. While surfing the web for parts to upgrade one of my road bikes recently, I noticed some articles and videos from bike fitters talking about shorter crank lengths. While I'm 5'6", I've always used 170mm cranks (I'm in my early 50s now) and never had any problems with them. Fortunately I've never had any lower limb or hip injuries, although I have had some other serious injuries, so I'm conscious of keeping myself in good shape for as long as I can. The sizing charts based on this newer material all recommend 165mm cranks for my height and inseam, so this is something I'm considering. 'On paper' recommendations are one thing; but I'm curious to hear about the experiences of others as to any real world benefits after switching to shorter crank lengths in terms of injury prevention? Thanks!