Old 09-24-13, 09:14 PM
abstractform20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton
As well as leg press mentioned above, during different seasons, I also did low bar and front squat...ass to grass, 3x5 reps (not counting warmup). I also did power cleans as well as dead lifts. I was generally on the Starting Strength program. Many follow the Starting Strength program then tweak it from there as necessary. It's a solid foundation that coaches from the AUS national team actually reference in their writings.

*i trimmed your response down 9/24*

For training for track sprinting, the overhead lifts, the Snatch and the Jerk, are very technical and don't really benefit the lower-body. Remember, track sprinting is a lower-body sport. So, some figure that your time and training would be better spent elsewhere. Upper-body strength is important, but only insofar as to not be so weak that standing starts hurt your back or your legs pull so hard that your fingers can't hold on to the bars. I have seen this happen. I knew a female sprinter that had very, very strong legs but didn't work on her grip strength in the gym (dead lifts, etc...) and during standing starts, her fingers would limit how hard she could push, not her legs. Once her grip strength caught up, she got even faster.

Remember, when track sprinters aren't in the gym, they are on a bike somewhere. So, standard powerlifting programs have to be cut back some to allow for that.

can you link where the AUS coaches have articles about SS and Rippetoe?

did your programming pass the novice stage (basically unable to add weight to the bar every workout, and require a weekly increase)?

i assume that your focused on driving the squat and deadlift in order to drive the power clean...

i have a lot of questions, sorry.