Old 09-25-13, 01:52 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by abstractform20
can you link where the AUS coaches have articles about SS and Rippetoe?

did your programming pass the novice stage (basically unable to add weight to the bar every workout, and require a weekly increase)?

i assume that your focused on driving the squat and deadlift in order to drive the power clean...

i have a lot of questions, sorry.
Yes, I moved pass the novice stage and into the next stage following this book: Practical Programming for Strength Training

This is the next book in the series after Starting Strength.
http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Prog...0095205&sr=1-2

I lifted heavy for 4 years straight with minor breaks here and there. My last season was the first one where I did all of my strength training on the bike...and that's when I started I hit over 2,100W regularly. Crazy how that works.

i assume that your focused on driving the squat and deadlift in order to drive the power clean...
Yes.

can you link where the AUS coaches have articles about SS and Rippetoe?
The site's credits:

By Carl Brewer with contributions from
Sean Eadie
Clay Worthington
Craig Colduck
Emily Wood
Dr Dan Dwyer
Prof Lon kilgore
Mark Rippetoe

http://upupup.aboc.com.au/the-book/0...gym/philosophy

They write:

Each of these exercises elicits a significant strength adaptation but does require competent coaching to learn safely. The squat is the cornerstone of any good strength program and we refer you to "Starting Strength, 3rd Ed" by Mark Rippetoe as the most through and important book on this subject.

If you're going to train for strength, that book needs to be in your library.
i would assume that for events lasting typically under 1 minutes, that reps (after the novice stage) would never be more than 5, and that longer events would involve tapering down intensity and focusing on volume. anyone train using 15 reps for squats?
As Brian mentions, anything over 5 reps is not strength but strength-endurance. That generally happens on the bike for like a standing half-lap effort.

Last edited by carleton; 09-25-13 at 01:55 AM.