View Single Post
Old 02-09-19, 04:08 PM
kjaioqhbkqb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
[QUOTE=Tourist in MSN;20786317]At the weight you are looking at, a standard cup and cone freewheel type hub could have a weak axle. If a 135mm hub fits well into the frame, the newer cassette type steel axle Shimano freehubs like a Deore or an older design XT hub might be better. I am running Shimano XT M756, M756A , and M760 steel axle rear hubs on three bikes. A lot of the newer Aluminum axle XT hubs have also been used for touring but I have a strong preference for the older design steel axle hubs that use 1/4 inch ball bearings.[\QUOTE]

I'm using a steel axle. One has gotten bent before but it was years old (like 20), so I'm not sure if it's an issue (and I never noticed it until I went to service the bearings). But I am riding a lot more now and starting to tour, so it's something I'll keep my eye on. This is an experiment for me too to see if these cups and cones don't pit too soon. I'm happy replacing the bearings as part of maintenance, and even axles sometimes (not really expensive and I have the tools), but the cups are not serviceable as far as I can see. I mean maybe with a Dremel but I'm not sure if after using a Dremel on a cup the hardening is compromised.

I really like the old freewheel stuff from Japan. I have a few NOS just to stare at them

It is true that cassettes or freehubs may be easier and smarter, so I'm open. For now though I will wait to see what happens.

[QUOTE=Tourist in MSN;20786317]You mentioned Phil hubs. A friend of mine tours on an older freewheel type Phil hub and he is quite happy with it. That design also overcomes the weak axle problem, thus that would also be a good choice.[\QUOTE]

Does Phil still make those freewheels? I don't know all the terminology, so I don't see them on their site under a freewheel search.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
It is getting harder to find 36 hole hubs that are non-disc that are robust enough for touring. But for your weight, I would not drop down to 32 spokes in back. I think 32 in front which takes less weight is ok, but for rear I think 36 is best.
36h in front, high flange. 36h in back, low flange.