View Single Post
Old 02-16-19, 06:10 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by kjaioqhbkqb
If I order blanks (unthreaded spokes) for my LBS how many extra should I provide them to build the wheel?

Also, should I get the blanks as long as possible?
I assume you have already confirmed that your local bike shop can thread the spokes, most bike shops do not have a spoke threading machine.

And from your question, I assume you have already confirmed that they are willing to work on parts you provide. Some shops insist that they provide all of the parts and that they charge for those parts at the prices that they want to charge.

It they do it right, every spoke they thread will be a usable spoke. I do not recall, are they doing two wheels or one? I would suggest four extra spares for the rear (two drive side, two non-drive side). I am assuming the drive side and non-drive side are different lengths. The last rear wheel I built up, by using a nipple washer on each drive side nipple, I could get by with the same spoke length on both drive side and non-drive side, but it does not always work that way.

If also the front, two more if they are the same length, usually they are same length but maybe not if disc.

If they are too long and they cut them to size, if they were double butted blanks then the thicker part where they have to put the threads might not be long enough to thread them properly.

Is there a reason you are asking that question here instead of asking the bike shop that would be doing the work?