View Single Post
Old 06-17-19, 09:08 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
Throw away your chain measuring tool and buy a 18" steel ruler. Per Jobst Brandt:

The best way to determine whether a chain is worn is by measuring its length. A new half inch pitch chain will have a pin at exactly every half inch. As the pins and sleeves wear, this spacing increases, concentrating more load on the last tooth of engagement as the chain rolls off the sprocket, thus changing the tooth profile. When chain pitch grows over one half percent, it is time for a new chain. At one percent, sprocket wear progresses rapidly because this length change occurs only between pin and sleeve so that it is concentrated on every second pitch; the pitch of the inner link containing the rollers remaining constant. By holding a ruler along the chain on the bicycle, align an inch mark with a pin and see how far off the mark the pin is at twelve inches. An eighth of an inch (0.125) is one percent, twice the sixteenth limit that is a prudent time for a new chain.
I have a couple bikes that I ride 95% singletrack or gravel and they're at 12 1/8" (worn out) within 1000 miles. That's just the nature of how chains wear and what grit does to them + individual rider characteristics. Hot waxing the chain will extend the life considerably but the maintenance is a nightmare. I got 1800 miles out of a chain but I was waxing it before every use, I'd rather just buy more chains/cassettes.
Likes For Spoonrobot: