Old 07-08-20, 12:28 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
You own a classic bike. I have been looking for this model with Postal team colors for 10 years, and would be willing to sell my soul for it. Actually, I already sold my soul to a certain young woman in 1983 ... but that is another story.

When you were bike shopping, did you have a chance to lift the newest Uber-bikes to check for weight? I have - they are porky beasts. Top-end bikes have been getting heavier and not lighter. Reasons:
  • Disc brakes adding 1-2 pounds of useless weight. I suppose if you are loaded down with camping gear while descending in the rain, you'd need discs on a road bike, but not for actual road riding.
  • Deep-section wheels, plus fat tires plus rotors. Man, the current wheels are heavy! At the worst possible place on a bike - rotating mass. The current wheelsets with absurd 32mm tires make even the lightest bike ride like a farm tractor. If you are chubby and ride over gravel, I suppose you need these, but 23mm tires pumped to 100+ psi are simply faster; don't let the fad-slaves and marketers tell you otherwise.
  • Aero tube shapes on current road frames. Circular cross-section profiles on frame tubes are the optimum in terms of strength to weight. Aero shapes are heavier. I suppose if you are travelling 20+ mph all the time (on your fat-tire gravel endurance bike) the aero gains will offset the extra weight.
  • Electronic: this will add a few hundred grams of weight, but this is one area where real progress has been made.

Other negatives of the current bikes:
  • Internal gear cable routing, a major PITA, especially if routed through the stem or even worse, the stem and bars. I assume this development is designed to make you a slave to your shop, if God-help you, you ever break a derailleur cable. 3-week service turnaround and a $100 bill.
  • Shimano shifters with the under-the wrap routing. Hold on to your shifters, they are smoother than the current shifters ever can be, and they don't eat cables every 2,000 miles.
  • Proliferation of useless cogs - we are now at 12 in the cassette... why?? We were past diminishing returns at 9. Planned obsolescence, designed to mask the lack of real innovation in the sorry bike industry. Have you priced out 12-speed cassettes and chains?
  • Through-axles and the proliferation of new wheel 'standards'. No advantage to riders except it renders incompatible all of your inventory of good wheels, and translates a 15-second wheel change into a frustrating trial. Don't ever lose that custom, hub-specific axle, or you'll be waiting weeks for a mail-order replacement.
  • Rear wheels with >130mm stay spacing. Again, no advantage except it serves the industry purpose of making 'obsolete' all previous generations of wheelsets. And it makes heel-strike more likely, increases Q-factor at the crankset, and allows a further (pointless) proliferation of cogs in the cassette.
  • 1 x road systems. I won't even dignify this stupidity with more text. Front shifting is SOOO hard!
  • Tubeless road. Unless you are riding in goat-head country, or are getting pinch flats because you persistently under-inflate your tires, no point to this.

Recommendation: get some carbon road bars and a carbon post. A huge upgrade would be low-profile carbon tubular wheels. You would shave at least a pound of rotating mass, and transform you bike (or any bike) into the next level. A major quantum level change in ride performance. But brace yourself for the learning curve of gluing and rim-prep.
Likes For Dave Mayer: